KUBERNETES ON AZURE
A 2-day intro course to Kubernetes on Azure
This technical "workshop style" course covers the core Kubernetes concepts and guides you to build, deploy and monitor containers on Azure and Azure Kubernetes Service. Developers, DevOps and I.T. Pros will learn how to use containers locally and on Azure. You’ll experience several demos and hands-on "live coding" activities with the trainer throughout the course as you learn how to build, deploy and monitor containers on Azure. No coding experience is required for the hands-on activities since the focus is on DevOps but you'll use the terminal, command prompt and VS Code extensively.
In day 1, you'll learn all about Kubenernetes and it's concepts. You'll learn how to deploy and manage microservices applications packaged in containers locally. This will provide you the essential foundation that you'll need before heading to the cloud.
Day 2 is all about Kubenernetes on Azure. You'll apply what you learned in the previous days so that you can deploy, manage and maintain your applications on Azure Kubernetes Service like a ninja!
denotes a topic with hands-on "live coding" activity
Kubernetes Core Concepts
- Kubernetes concepts
- What is Kubernetes?
- What can Kubernetes do and not do
- Running Kubernetes locally
- Docker Desktop
- Minikube, MicroK8s, Kind
- Kubernetes API
- The declarative way vs the imperative way
- Using Kubectl
- YAML files
- Nodes and Pods
- Using Selectors
- Setting environnent variables
- Multi container pods
- Workloads - How to deploy different applications types
- Updates using rolling updates
- Communication between pods
- Reaching from the outside world
- Load Balancer
- Storage & Persistance
- Persistent Volumes and Claims
- Using Azure Storage with Storage Classes
- App settings
- Liveness & readiness probes
- Kubernetes Web UI installation
- K9s: a dashboard in a terminal!
Kubernetes on Azure
- Azure Kukernetes Service
- Pricing model
- Supported versions
- Create an AKS cluster using the Portal
- Create an AKS cluster using the CLI
- Kubernetes API
- Using Kubectl
- Using the Azure Shell
- Launching the Dashboard
- Persistance using Azure Storage
- Azure Files
- Azure Disks
- Auto scaling Pods using the Horizontal Pod Autoscaler
- Auto scaling Nodes using the Cluster Autoscaler
- Burst to serverless Virtual Nodes using Virtual Kubelet
- Upgrading a cluster to a newer K8s version
- Using Helm 3
- Helm installation
- Use a chart and deploy an app
- Create a chart to deploy an app
- Update and Rollback
- Use Azure Container Registry as a chart repository
- Logging & Monitoring
- Monitoring using Azure Monitor
- Enabling Live Data Monitoring in Azure Monitor
- Prometheus use cases
- Installing Grafana
- Using Azure Monitor as a data source for Grafana
- Service Mesh
- Use cases
- What are Istio and Linkerd
- Installing Linkerd on AKS
- Troubleshooting an app using Linkerd
- Why use an Ingress Controller
- Setting up Nginx-Ingress
- Configuring routes
- It's now time to use everything you learned and apply it to build, deploy and monitor a microservice application consisting of a Web UI and 4 APIs. You'll build and deploy the containers to ACR, package the microservices in Helm charts that you will deploy, peek inside the running pods to troubleshoot, use telemetry to monitor the app, use a service mesh and introduce some chaos by splitting network traffic, deploy Prometheus and Grafana, and restrict traffic to the pods using Network Policies.
WHY IS THIS FOR ME?
You're familiar with Docker containers but new to Kubernetes. You're a developer and you've been tasked to containerize an application to be hosted on Azure Kubernetes Service. You want to understand the concepts so you can build and test containers locally. You also want to learn how microservices hosted in Kubernetes works so you can architect and develop the system accordingly.
No matter what development platform you use, this course will help you achieve your goals. Note that the course focus is on DevOps topics and you'll use VS Code to create configuration files, not coding actual apps.
You're familiar with Docker containers but new to Kubernetes. As the DevOps specialist in your team, you want to understand containers, how to build and test them locally, how to configure and manage applications on Kubernetes.
This course will help you achieve your goals as it focuses on DevOps topics. You'll use VS Code intensively to create configuration files and deploy readily made apps (no coding required) with CLI commands in the terminal or command prompt.
You're familiar with Docker containers but new to Kubernetes. As the I.T. Pro in your team, you want to understand containers and how to configure Kubernetes in the Cloud so you can monitor and scale the system in production.
Note that the course focus is on DevOps topics and you'll use VS Code to create configuration files and deploy readily made apps (no coding required). Advanced I.T. Pro topics like security and networking beyond the basics are not covered in this course.
The following setup is required on your laptop to attend this course:
A detailed checklist will be emailed to the attendees in the week prior to the course.
- A laptop supporting virtualization with either Windows 10 Pro, macOS 10.13+ or Ubuntu 18.04.x
- An active Azure subscription (Note that a free trial account will not work)
- A package manager
- Azure CLI
- Visual Studio Code
- Windows/Mac: Docker Desktop with Kubernetes enabled
- Ubuntu: Docker using APT and Kubernetes using Minikube, MicroK8s or Kind
- The kubectl CLI
All our classes are online with a live instructor.
You get the
same training experience and the same interaction with the trainer.
Our prices are in Canadian dollars.
In the USA? You can attend our virtual classes and take advantage of the 30% exchange rate!
Organize private virtual courses for your company! (minimum 4 participants)
EARLY BIRD SPECIALS
Use the following codes to get 20% off the regular registration fee
|Class||Date||Discount Code||Valid until|
|Docker & Kubernetes | 2-day||Sept 16-17 2020 - Pacific Time||EARLYBIRD-WDRNK5||2020-8-21|
|Docker & Kubernetes | 2-day||5-6 Octobre 2020 - Heure de Montreal - FR||EARLYBIRD-R55ZVB||2020-9-5|
|Kubernetes on Azure | 2-day||Oct 26-27 2020 - Eastern Time||EARLYBIRD-SPM2J7||2020-9-26|
|Docker & Kubernetes | 2-day||Nov 16-17 2020 - Mountain Time||EARLYBIRD-A24D9K||2020-10-16|
|Kubernetes on Azure | 2-day||Dec 1-2 2020 - Pacific Time||EARLYBIRD-SRAUDD||2020-11-1|